Tuesday, March 02, 2010

When is Talent Boring?

Derek Trucks: Musical genius. Inspiration. Pushing the very boundaries of what it means to be a guitar player. Derek Trucks is boring.

If you don’t know Derek, check You Tube. Derek won the gene pool lottery, folks. His uncle's an original member of the Allman Brothers. He even has an uncle who played for the Detroit Tigers.

But here’s my problem with the DTB: (Jam Head jargon for Derek Trucks Band)
So many phenomenal musical ideas, so many gorgeous lines, its blinding! After a while it hurts my head. I need a nap.

I call the “Los Angeles Effect”. In LA, there so many big beautiful blond haired BOOMING women, that after a few days, there’s nothing special about them. I resented LA for making beautiful surgically enhanced models boring! Derek’s got the LA Effect.

And I’m a person who typically loves to hear bands bust out of the box. BOOM!! I’m not a box guy. But you know what? Here I’m saying “Derek. Pick a friggin’ box! Or maybe pick two boxes. Four boxes in this economy? C’mon Dude. Blinding talent is out of fashion these days in the U.S. of Unemployed.

I’ve shared these ideas with my peers who love Derek Trucks. They say I’m just a jealous hater. But I’m thinking that maybe this god-like talent is too much responsibility for one man.

But don’t let my message get twisted:

1. Keep practicing.

2. Pick a box (or two) to concentrate.

3. Write songs that don’t hurt people’s heads.

No comments: